Sep 7, 2024

Øygarden in summer weather

 Yesterday I went to northern Øygarden to kick off the autumn season. Not typical autumn weather with temperatures of 25 degrees Ceclius, light easterly winds and blue skies. After only half an hour in the field I heard a migrating Red-throated Pipit at Breivik. It called twice. Easy to recognize, but difficult to prove. I didn't get it recorded. 

Anyhow, Terje Hansen called me and told that he was on Herdlevær. After I told that the pipit only was a flyby, he continued to search for the two Barred Warblers that were reported on the island the day before. As he was already searching, I decided to drive to Sele to check the 'beautiful garden'. Apart from two Blackcaps and a few Chiffchaffs I didn't find anything else (I did hear a loud chainsaw though). In the meantime Terje had found the Barred Warblers back. I decided to check them. I had difficulties finding them. I did see a large grey warbler only in flight in the bombehagen, but I wasn't sure about it. After ca 1,5 hour searching on different points on the island I gave up. But driving away, Terje called me that they were present nevertheless. Turning back we (Jørn, Terje and me) managed to see at least one bird. Here a flyby Kestrel and Yellow Wagtail as well...

record shot Barred Warbler

young Tree Sparrow

Coal Tit



No comments:

Post a Comment