Sep 16, 2026

Herdla bad weather spectacle

 I thought I would have a few hours without rain on Herdla this afternoon, but that was definitely not the case. The rain didn't stop before I got back to the car.

As is often the case in September with these conditions, it was a wader bonanza with loads of waders. The problem was that they were very restless and flying around a lot, so I guess I didn't pick out all the good birds. Besides that, I had to dry my bins and scope continuously.

In just two hours, I saw at least 250 Common Snipes, 75 Bar-tailed Godwits, two Black-tailed Godwits, 150 Ruffs, 150 Dunlins, 30 Golden Plovers, 8 Grey Plovers, 50 Common Ringed Plovers, three Ruddy Turnstones, two Red Knots, a Curlew Sandpiper, and two fly-by Common Greenshanks. 75 Eurasian Widgeons, 25 Eurasian Teals, and 25 Mallards are also worth mentioning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment